One of our favorite on-river lunches is Curry Chicken Salad. It’s not only delicious, but can be put together in a matter of minutes. We decided to do some recipe testing this week, so I whipped some up and brought it to our Global Headquarters Food Lab a.k.a. the Office. It sure was tasty here, meaning it’d taste even better on the river.
Ingredients for 15 people
- 3 lbs. boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts OR canned Chicken
- 2 Green Apples
- 1/2 lb. Cashews or Almonds
- 1/2 lb. Raisins or Dried Cranberries
- 1 bunch Red Grapes
- 1 8 oz. jar Mayonnaise
- Curry Powder
On the side
- 1 head Lettuce
- 1 Red Onion – chopped
- 5 lbs. Tomatoes – diced
- 1/2 bag Carrots
- 1 lb. Cucumber – sliced
- 4 pkges Wraps
There are two options for the chicken: cooking it the night before, or using canned chicken. I prefer cooked chicken to canned, but sometimes canned is more convenient and will be fine.
The great thing about curry is that it masks other flavors, so using leftover chicken from the previous nights’ fajitas (or grilled chicken, etc.) will work great! Just make sure you plan ahead when you’re cooking dinner and remember to add the extra meat. Shredding or chopping it the night before makes it easier to throw together the next day, too.
- Make sure the chicken is in bite sized pieces – either chopped or shredded (I shredded mine with two forks, but it might be easier to chop it)
- Dice apples into bite sized chunks
- If the nuts are whole, chop them or put them in a bag and pound them into pieces.
- The grapes can either be put in whole or halved.
- In a large mixing bowl add the chicken, apple, cashews, raisins, and grapes
- Add the mayo
- Add 2 Tablespoons of curry powder (the amount of curry powder can be adjusted to taste)
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Mix it all together
- Have bowls of chopped onions, diced tomatoes, and sliced cucumbers on the side.
- Put out the wraps, lettuce leaves, bowls, and silverware