Disclaimer: Northwest Rafting Company receives a small commission when you click some of the links on this page and purchase items through Amazon.
I’m getting ready for my first day of winter boating on Washington’s Wind River. Every November when the rain begins I dust off my cataraft and piece it together after a few months of neglect. Here are some things I do before before my first winter paddling trip.
A Few General Reminders
- Inspect your PFD for inflation and consider purchasing a new one.
- Inspect the gaskets and lubricate the zippers on your drysuit.
- Check your frame and oar bolts for tightness. This is also a great time to replace old, rusty ones.
- Replace old, warn cam straps that might break during the boating season.
- Do a safety inspection on your trailer. This is a good time to grease your hubs and check your trailer lights.
- Put together a cold weather (or “hypo kit”) with extra fleece, fire starters, and hand warmers.
Lean and Mean Safety Kit
Make sure everything is there and nothing is moldy or rusty. This is what I bring for day runs like the Wind River where road access is fairly close.
The exact contents of your repair kits should depend on your boat, difficulty of rivers you run, and your training.
Lean and Mean Repair Kit
Repair kits are often overlooked and rarely restocked. The exact contents of your kit will depend on your particular raft material, frame, and oars.
- Every repair tool your frame and oars might need – nut driver, socket wrench, channel locks, allen wrench, oar blade tightener, screwdriver, and more
- Replacement parts and bolts for your frame
- Repair material, glue, sandpaper, and brushes
- Tear Aid for quick repair
- Duct Tape
You might also want to consider repair materials and tools for your friend’s boats too in case they forget.
Typical First Aid Restock
This is a list of items that commonly needs to be restocked in your first aid kit.
- Band Aids
- Triple Antibiotic Ointment
- Medical tape
- Check your CPR mask to make sure it’s still in good shape
If you have any other suggestions please add them in the comment section below.